Ella clearly has spent a good deal of time at cross country and track meets. At random points in the day she'll start a race: one arm up = get ready, other arm up = get set, and completed with a "bang" for go. At meets she likes to run around our blanket and stroller and say, "Mama, clap for me!" She also knows that she is to stay off the track during a meet (although I watch this super closely). At the end of a meet, she is giddy with excitement to be able to run in a lane. Last week, she got 150 meters down the track before she even looked back. I love that she has this experience. Even if she doesn't turn out to be a fast runner, I hope she sees it as a way of life as I did when I was little. When I was growing up, my dad ran nearly every day, and I thought that is just what you do. I never felt pressure to run, but a day feels kind of weird to me if I don't.
Yesterday, Ella left me in our bedroom to go for a "run". (The following went on for a minimum of 7 minutes straight.) Our living room, hallway and kitchen make a nice circular "track" to run on. After each lap, she'd pop into the room and tell me something. After a couple minutes of this, I made my way to the kitchen and started writing down the things she said/did each lap.
"Almost. . . there. . . two. . . miles."
"Kate, I'm running!"
"Mama, stay on the sidewalk. I might run into you."
"Want to touch my dirty feet?" (puts feet up on Kate's exersaucer to show her)
"Going to doctor to get some ouchies." (Referring to the shots - or the band-aids? - that she receives at the doctor"s office. I think this is good; she doesn't seem to think "getting ouchies is a bad thing, and it means she hasn't had to go to the doctor for much more than a check-up. Healthy kid, this one.)
"Mama, stay on the rug. I might bump into you. . . bump." (as she goes out of her way to bump me.)
"Mama, I"m almost to the park!"
(runs by with sunglasses)
(runs by smacking lips)
"Go pee. Go pee . . . Mama, don't help me." (as she backtracks to get to the bathroom)
No comments:
Post a Comment